Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ready for Active Duty

Now that it is coming close to graduation time, it is time for those of us graduating to get ready for the training that follows. The most challenging part of getting ready is doing so when we have so much going on. The end of the year is always incredibly busy with finals and packing. Time is at a premium. The hardest part is getting ready for active duty without any time to do so. My challenge will be getting packed, ensuring I know everything I need, and spending time with my family in the two weeks that follow graduation. The way things look now, I am a little worried that there will not be enough of me to go around. My main strategy will be packing everything military related in plastic bins early on, so I don't have to worry about getting my equipment ready when it comes time to leave. I also plan on labeling each bin with an inventory of everything inside. I also have the benefit of having a few months at Ft. Knox to review all of the information that I will need for my follow-on training. This is everything from 7-8 stuff to all of the specifics of the OPORD. I anticipate getting to LTC and having only a small amount to do. I am sure that it depends upon the specific job, but I am willing to bet that all of the jobs have only a limited amount. The biggest concern for me is the fear of the unknown. This is not to say that I am afraid of what awaits me, it just adds to the overall uncertainty. As a whole, I am excited for what lies ahead. It will be challenging to ensure I am fully prepared with less than a month remaining until I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment