Monday, April 20, 2009

Staff Ride

As MSIV's you will have the opportunity to participate in the Staff Ride. The staff ride is an all day event that the seniors spend discussing military history at a historically significant location. During my MSIV year, we went to Cantigny. I forget exactly how it is classified, either as a park or a museum. When we were there, we each had a small presentation that described a situation or story that came from each of the different conflicts that the First Infantry Division was involved in. The museum shows artifacts and has displays for each of the conflicts. For the most part the day is a nice break from the day to day stuff. It also serves as a very informative experience. I learned a great deal from my classmates. We made sure to focus on more obscure stories, that way everyone learned new things. By the end of the day we were pretty worn out, but it was worth it. This year I have had the benefit of going on another staff ride. Luckily, we will not be attending the same venue. The plan is to visit the Jefferson Barracks. Although my knowledge of the Battle of the Bulge is limited, I do know that this is one of the most significant memorials in the area. The barracks overlook the Mississippi River, and are located in St. Louis. The plan for the day looks to be one of the best days as far as ROTC events are concerned. After spending a few hours at the museum, we will be changing and heading to the St. Louis Cardinals and Cubs game. I just wish that I was a fan of either team, but I will settle for watching the Cubs get destroyed. That always makes for a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment