Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Good Wednesday Workout

Today the majority of the battalion started off the day by inspecting uniforms. This is not my idea of a good workout. The number one explanation of why your PT score is not improving is that you are not getting the maximum effect out of your workouts. As cadets we are already waking up in the freezing cold. We must remember exactly why we woke up so early in the first place. We are doing this not for enjoyment but for personal improvement. You might as well get the most out of your workout. It is typical human nature to do what we must to get by. It takes a sadistic person to push themselves to the point of vomiting. The key is figuring out where that point is and pushing yourself to the edge. I understand that you are not planning what we do in PT, but there is a way to be completely exhausted afterward. Make sure that you do every exercise to your best effort. If you push yourself to your limit, no matter the exercise, you will always get the desired effect. Today my workout started with a 1/2 mile warm up at 7:30/mile pace. I then ran stair laps until I could no longer do the exercise safely. I had originally decided to do these for ten minutes, followed by another 1/2 mile. I ended up being able to do over 11 minutes until I slipped on the way up. After the twenty minutes of running, I did pyramid exercises of push-ups, pull-ups, and v-ups. The V-up is a sit up where you raise your legs and torso to meet in the middle. The pyramids typically involve starting at a number of repetitions, increasing repetitions until a point, and decreasing reps until reaching the original starting point. I simply started at fifteen push-ups and V-ups and 10 pull-ups and worked down to 9 push/V-ups and 5 pull ups. After a good stretch, I was done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment