Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Pains of Ruckmarching

We all go through the pain of getting back into a training regimen every year. In trying to prepare for a twelve mile road march, I have began the training. I can't describe just how painful it can be getting started. My feet and shins are in an incredible amount of pain. The road marching is bad enough by itself, but I can't seem to get past the pain that feels as though my shins are on fire. After about two miles, my feet go completely numb. You might think that this would be good news; unfortunately, I can't control the movement of my left foot. It just flops around as I lift and move my legs. The tightness of the tendons is not limited to when I am actually marching. Despite stretching the muscles and tendons below my knees extensively, the arches of my feet are incredibly stiff. I am debating a number of changes to help my legs. I am going to purchase some insoles for my boots. I feel as though the insoles are not doing their job and supporting my arches. The best kind that I could think of would be those liquid ones that move as you walk, but I am not sure that these exist. I will also begin to take ibuprofen before and after workouts. This won't completely erase the pain, but hopefully it will dull the pain enough so I can get through the initial pain. After getting past the first 1.5 miles, the shin splints begin to dull. After the workouts, I rush to the frozen veggies. These provide a very cheap and reusable alternative to bags of ice. I am going to have to figure out how to overcome this. The only way to be ready will be by getting through it and putting in the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment