Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hell Day # 1

Yesterday was the first real day of Air Assault training. I started my workouts yesterday morning with a four mile interval workout. The name is misleading because the workout is actually involves six miles of running. To explain what intervals are, they are sprints done on a track folowed by a jog of the same distance. In the case of this workout, the intervals were of 400 and 200 meters. The workout began with a mile ran at an easy pace. For most people this should fall below the 8:30/mile pace. The next stage in the workout was the beginning of the 400 meter intervals. I ran four 400m sprints with 400m jogs in between, totaling 2 miles of four hundred's. In case you have never run 400m sprints, there is nothing more miserable. By the end of the second sprint, I felt as though I was going to die. The next stage of the workout was more intervals, this time 200 meters in length. The overall distance covered in this stage is the same as the four hundred's because I did eight 200m sprints followed by 200m jogs. After running four miles, I really started to drag. My legs and feet were basically dead half-way through the two hundred's. The final stage, which I did not complete, was another mile for time. The goal is to make sure that it is completed in less than 9 min. Later on last night, I hopped on the treadmill with a 45 pound pack. Let me say that road marching is no joke, especially when you have not done it in a while. After only two miles, I was completely soaked in sweat. All I know is that I will be rucking a lot more in the next three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment